Monday, June 13, 2011

dying to be different: second chance silk tunic


salvaged silk dress
dyed
unstitched
restitched
and remodelled: defrilled and belted


 This dress had great bones. A divine silk damask fabric. Fitted yoke, grandpa collar, generous cuffs. And the finest row of self covered buttons, a dozen on the cuffs! Irresistible. So I respectfully fulfilled its wish for a new life, liberating it from Anglicare, Summer Hill.

But, urgh. The insiped coulour, stained upper arm and frilled hem: had to go! Enter, DIYers... you know what follows. But for those that don't:

1. DYING
After a small poll (thanks, Nieve!) the iDye Brilliant Blue won. First dye bath of half a packet of iDye (for natural fabrics) in Brilliant Blue. Then, I realised I had forgotten an iDye poly to cover the synthetic stitching. I dyed again. The second bath with the other half of the iDye Brilliant Blue and half a packet of iDye Poly Blue. Unfortunately, the stitching didn't take beyond a pastel blue. Though, the silk did benefit from the second bath and took on a stronger hue.


2. UNSTITCHING
A couple week's of train trips to unstitch. First, the facing stitching that refused the colour. And, second, the frilled hem - gross!!



3. RESTITCHING
Let's not understate this. Each and every facing seam restitched. From collar to hem. Oh, and thread really does come in every colour. I found a perfect match in this scanfil #1355 

4. REMODEL
Picked up the discarded ruffled hem. Ungathered it. Fashioned it into a new belt!


-> NEW LIFE






The recycling's done!

3 comments:

  1. Great job; it looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done an amazing job!!
    It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks gorgeous. And I love how you light your photos. They look really cool

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...